Volunteers serve a vital role in helping students succeed!
One of the unique aspects of Gordon Parks Elementary is how the school integrates volunteers and community partners into its classrooms, programs and annual events. Dedicated volunteers work side-by-side with teachers and staff to help ensure students achieve their academic goals and staff meet the school’s operating needs.
Volunteer Program Mission: Gordon Parks Elementary mobilizes community volunteers to provide caring and consistent support to its students and staff and engages them in improving urban education in Kansas City.
Top 5 Ways to Volunteer at Gordon Parks Elementary
- Help students reach their academic goals by Tutoring with individuals or small groups in math, reading and writing. (11:00 - 12:30, 3:00 - 4:00, 5:00 - 6:00)
- Become a Mentor and establish a long-term relationship with a 3rd, 4th or 5th grader. (12:00 - 1:00), 3:00 - 6:00)
- Work with students in the transitional kindergarten classroom as a PACE Buddy. (1:00 - 2:00)
- Provide Administrative or Classroom Help to teachers and staff. (8:00 - 2:00)
- There is always a need for Special Event volunteers during programs like the Fall Fundraiser, Holiday Bazaar, Field Day and Classroom Field Trips.
How to Apply
Please fill out the volunteer application and appropriate state screening form (if age 18 or older) and send it to Shannon Solis, Volunteer and Development Coordinator:
- Volunteer Application (2 pages)
- Screening Form for Kansas Residents Age 18 and Older
- Screening Form for Missouri Residents Age 18 and Older
For more information about volunteering at Gordon Parks, contact Shannon Solis, Volunteer and Development Coordinator, at (816) 994-4998.
All weather-related school closings coincide with the Kansas City, Missouri, School District. In case of a school closing due to inclement weather, volunteers do not need report to Gordon Parks.