An independent public school that is an alternative to the regular public school system. Charter schools are alike in the following ways:
- They receive public tax support
- They cannot charge tuition nor discriminate in student enrollment
- They are non-profit organizations governed by a board that assumes legal, financial, and program oversight responsibilities
- They must satisfy their sponsor (ours is University of Central Missouri) and the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) that students are progressing academically
- Each has the capacity to hire and fire its staff
- Each may determine its system for reaching the state curricular goals.